[META] List owner?

From: Lars Hecking
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 10:29:57 +0000

 Does anyone here know the person behind autoconf-owner? I have sent email
 to autoconf-owner (and probably automake-owner, too) a number of times and
 never received a reply.

 The amount of spam coming from these two lists is appalling, and in fact
 accounted for more than 50% of all spam that made it to my inbox during
 the past holiday period. I'm wondering whether the list owners will take
 any action - header analysis shows that a lot of these mails are being
 received by the list server (or frontend) from dynamic ips and dialups.
 I cannot understand why these are not getting blocked in the first place.

 Here comes the really bad part, which the list owner is directly responsible
 for: as a significant amount of spam is rejected on our mail gateway (54
 mails from the autoconf/automake lists in the past four weeks), my list
 membership gets suspended quite often, and I receive notification email with
 a confirmation string to re-enable list mails:

http://mail.gnu.org/mailman/confirm/autoconf/5eb252c164d671ce23feca1c3f7207291d343ea1

 These URL's never ever work! The resulting web page informs me

| Bad confirmation string
| Invalid confirmation string:  5eb252c164d671ce23feca1c3f7207291d343ea1.

 so I need to go into my membership page and enable list mails manually.

 My apologies for the rant, but I believe I'm not the only one having this
 problem.

(Please reply off-list only; Reply-To: set).