Re: AC_ARGS_ENABLE default behaviour not working

From: Eric Sunshine
Subject: Re: AC_ARGS_ENABLE default behaviour not working
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 23:44:41 -0500

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 19:03:23 -0800, address@hidden wrote:
> I can only get program1 to be generated if I specifically run:
> configure --enable-toolbox. But if I just do a: configure
> I don't get the program built.  Isn't the default behaviour, to build
> in this case, based on what I have below? In my configure.ac:
> AC_ARG_ENABLE(toolbox,
> [  --enable-toolbox   Build Atlas toolbox applications],
> [case "${enableval}" in
> yes) toolbox=true ;;
> no)  toolbox=false ;;
> *) AC_MSG_ERROR(bad value ${enableval} for --
> enable-toolbox) ;;
> esac],
> [toolbox=true])
> AM_CONDITIONAL(TOOLBOX, test "$enable_toolbox" = yes)

There are a couple problems.  First, the name of the shell variable is
"enable_toolbox", not "toolbox".  Second, your AM_CONDITIONAL() is checking
for a value of "yes", however you are setting the variable to true or false.
"yes" is not the same as true or false. Note also that AC_ARG_ENABLE(),
automatically sets enable_toolbox, so setting the variable again in the
'case' statement is redundant.  Here is an improved version (with proper m4
quoting):

AC_ARG_ENABLE([toolbox],
    [AC_HELP_STRING([--enable-toolbox], [build Atlas toolbox applications])],
    [case $enableval in
        yes|no) ;;
        *) AC_MSG_ERROR([bad value $enableval for --enable-toolbox]) ;;
    esac],
    [enable_toolbox=yes])
AM_CONDITIONAL([TOOLBOX], [test $enable_toolbox = yes])

-- ES