Re: Trouble with variable substitution

From: Patrick Welche
Subject: Re: Trouble with variable substitution
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 16:18:47 +0000

On Wed, Jan 28, 2004 at 03:48:48PM +0000, Scott James Remnant wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-01-28 at 13:02, Patrick Welche wrote:
> > On a tangent - is there an "easy" way of finding out the libtool.m4
> > version without having to process libtoolize --version? A sort of
> > AC_PREREQ(2.59) equivalent? This is to deal with left overs in packages
> > which use the autobook technique of:
> >
> This is something I'm intending to work on, along with making sure
> ltmain.sh and libtool.m4 came from the same source.  I've worked out in
> my head how to make it all work, was going to do it yesterday but got
> distracted and rewrote the pkg-config m4 stuff instead :-)

Excellent :-)

> > On a further tangent, shouldn't something better be, set
> > AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR,
> > run libtoolize, then presumably use aclocal, however:
> >
> This is what happens with libtoolize on CVS HEAD currently, it copies
> libtool.m4 (and other relevant files) into AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR for you.

Yes, but then you need the aclocal which has gone out of fashion to look
in AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR and form an aclocal.m4 containing libtool.m4 and
bits of ltsugar.m4. If one listens to "`aclocal' is expected to disappear.",
then the option seems to be
  cat acinclude.m4 libtool.m4 ltsugar.m4 > aclocal.m4
which seems a bit silly, as it means including all macros rather than just
those which are needed.. (I see that we should use acsite.m4 rather than
acinclude.m4 too, but there again, backward compatibility..)

Cheers,

Patrick