Re: make install error while installing autoconf 2.50

From: Peter Eisentraut
Subject: Re: make install error while installing autoconf 2.50
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 11:30:34 +0100

_Ke zy_ wrote:
> I successfully compiled autoconf 2.50, but when I install it I get
> the following error:
>
> make[3]: Entering directory '/home/kez/Programs/autoconf'
> makeinfo autoconf-2.50/doc/install.texi --no-headers --no-validate
> --no-split --output=INSTALL.txt
> make[3]: makeinfo: Command not found.
> *** [INSTALL.txt] Error 127

You need to install texinfo.

> The autoconf shell script seems to compile fine. When I run
> ./autoconf --version it comes out as 2.50, but if I run autoconf
> (without the DOT FORWARDSLASH) anywhere else, it comes out as 1.13
> (the version I am upgrading from).

The first one comes from the current directory, the second one from your
path (probably from /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin).  The current directory
is normally not in the path, if that is what you are expecting.

While you're upgrading, there are many versions newer than 2.50 already.