Re: Installation of autoconf and m4

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: Installation of autoconf and m4
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 00:49:20 -0700

Anthony N. Frasso wrote:
> I am running OpenBSD 3.3, and am trying to install autoconf.  I have (I
> think) successfully installed m4 1.4, but when I run the autoconf 2.59
> configuration script, I get the following output:
> [...]
> checking for m4... /usr/bin/m4
> checking whether m4 supports frozen files... no
> configure: error: GNU M4 1.4 is required
>
> Did I install m4 incorrectly?  Or is something else wrong?

Where did you install m4?  By default it will install in
/usr/local/bin/m4.  If you did not override it then that is where it
is now located.  But the above shows /usr/bin/m4 as being found first.
That would normally be the system OpenBSD m4.

What is your PATH?  A normal path typically has /usr/local/bin before
/usr/bin so that your local software installations will override what
is in /usr/bin.  But the above indicates that you are finding m4 in
/usr/bin/m4 which is the system m4.

Try putting /usr/local/bin ahead of /usr/bin in your PATH.

Bob