Re: AC_CHECK problem

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: AC_CHECK problem
Date: 08 Mar 2004 10:54:50 -0800

"Dmitry Katemirov" <address@hidden> writes:

> Would you mind to answer one more question if possible? What's the best way
> to ensure 64-bit build if a platform supports it?

It'd be nice if someone added support for
use-64-bit-pointers-if-available to Autoconf, much as AC_SYS_LARGEFILE
added support for 64-bit off_t on platforms that supported that.
Nobody has done it yet, as far as I know.  You can look at
AC_SYS_LARGEFILE for some ideas about how to do it.

> I tried to specify '-m64' as a build flag but I believe this isn't
> the right way to go since (a) this makes my configuration
> compiler-dependent; (b) 64-bit build is enforced even on platforms
> that do not support it.

Right on both counts.