Re: modification of what is displayed during compilation

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: modification of what is displayed during compilation
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 09:07:22 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 9 Apr 2004, Vincent Torri wrote:

>  I am writing a program with lots of files. It uses configure script. I
> use -Wall and gtk+ and optimization flags.
>
>  My "problem" is that it is quite difficult to see all the warnings with
> the whole compilation flags displayed (it sometimes exceeds 5 lines, when
> i use special optimisation flags).
>
>  So i would like to know if it is possible to modify the configure.in or
> Makefile.am, in order to:
>
>  1) avoid the display of the compilation line
>  2) replace it by something like
>      "Compilation of the file bidule.c"
>
> The best would be to add an argument to configure script, so that i can
> choose one of the two kinds of display.

As long as abreviated display doesn't become the default, this seems
ok to me.  I absolutely abhor builds which don't detail everything
they are doing because then it becomes a bloody nightmare to fix
things if the build doesn't work (which is often the case with such
makefiles).  I do understand that some people prefer to work with
blinders on though.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden