Re: ./configure problems

From: Eric Sunshine
Subject: Re: ./configure problems
Date: Sun, 2 May 2004 13:05:38 -0400

On Sun, 2 May 2004 13:34:41 +0200, Alexandre Duret-Lutz wrote:
> On Sat, May 01, 2004 at 10:43:47PM -0400, Eric Sunshine wrote:
> > On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 23:29:47 -0700, Stremler wrote:
> > > I recently downloaded the gnu smalltalk 2.1.7 tarball, and got some
> > > interesting complaints when I ran ./configure:
> > > % ./configure
> > > Missing }.
> > Perhaps this configure script was generated from a CVS version of
> > Autoconf in which the shell selection and "missing shell function"
> > reporting were rather buggy. Those problems have been fixed in CVS.
> > Re-generating the script with Autoconf 2.59 or the present-day CVS
> > version should probably resolve the problem.
> It doesn't.  CVS Autoconf selects tcsh as CONFIG_SHELL if
> SHELL=/bin/tcsh.
> http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-autoconf/2004-04/msg00072.html

The patch which I submitted to autoconf-patches on 2004-04-19 will resolve
this issue.

http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/autoconf-patches/2004-04/msg00019.html

Perhaps you or Paul could commit it to the repository.

My SHELL has been set to tcsh for years, but it does not pass Autoconf's
"shell function" test. Does modern-day tcsh support Bourne-like shell
functions?

-- ES