Re: Overriding cross_compiling when host != build isn't a good enough te

From: Daniel Kegel
Subject: Re: Overriding cross_compiling when host != build isn't a good enough test
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 14:26:42 -0700

Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
gcc is configured with
--build=i686-pc-linux-gnu --target=x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu --host=x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
and glibc is configured with the machine types shifted by one as usual
--build=x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu --host=x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
Configuring glibc-2.3.2 fails with the error
 checking size of long double... configure: error: cannot compute sizeof (long
double), 77

But this is incorrect.  You don't shift by one; you shift target into
host, but build should stay the same.  How can you expect configure to
work right if you lie to it about the build host?

Er, good point.  Let me crawl back to my hole and rethink.
It's worked for me for quite some time that way by chance, it seems.
I still think the override is needed when doing back-crosses,
so I'll repost my proposed patch later after I clear up my build procedure.

BTW I have a feeling the only reason canadian crosses, self-crosses, and
back-crosses
are rare is that they're hard to set up.  There seem to be quite a few
people who would like to use crosstool to make them easier to set up.
That's what I'm trying to do right now.
- Dan