prefix variable

From: Rob Benton
Subject: prefix variable
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 09:57:38 -0500

Hey I'm trying to get up to speed on the install variables that autoconf uses. The doc that I have (for ver 2.59) says:

"...
Most of these variables have values that rely on |prefix| or |exec_prefix|. It is deliberate that the directory output variables keep them unexpanded: typically |@datadir@| will be replaced by |${prefix}/share|, not |/usr/local/share"

So is it just understood that I'm supposed to use an assignment like:

"prefix = @prefix@"

In my Makefile.in?  Otherwise I don't see how $(datadir) gets set.