Re: /usr/local [was: CPPFLAGS prob]

From: Russell Shaw
Subject: Re: /usr/local [was: CPPFLAGS prob]
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 15:43:42 +1000

Dan Kegel wrote:
Russell Shaw wrote:

Dan Kegel wrote:

Paul Jarc wrote:

Dan Kegel <address@hidden> wrote:

The right thing to do is use /opt/arm-linux/usr/lib/pkgconfig/audiofile.pc,
which will point to the right library.

Right.  So set PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/opt/arm-linux/lib/pkgconfig.

I certainly agree that'd do it.  Not sure that Russell does yet, though.

That is what i currently do.

Well, I guess we were in violent agreement, then.

One caveat, though: the manpage says
       PKG_CONFIG_PATH
A colon-separated (on Windows, semicolon-separated) list of directories to search for .pc files. The default directory will always be searched after searching the path;
>               the default is lib-dir/pkgconfig where libdir is the libdir
>               where pkg-config  was installed.
What happens if you don't have the library in question installed
in PKG_CONFIG_PATH?  pkg-config will silently search /usr/lib/pkgconfig,
and possibly grab the wrong version of the library.

configure.ac checks the library via pkg-config, so regardless of what
library gets detected, if the autoconf check accepts the library version,
the resulting build should work.

> If you're
unlucky, the library will link, but the resulting program won't run.
One more little reason, perhaps, to have a separate copy of pkg-config
per installed userland.

If autoconf doesn't complain, the result should work. It is up to the
user to make sure the right <package>.pc file is accessed by pkg-config.