Re: how to avoid unnecessary recompile when using configure script

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: how to avoid unnecessary recompile when using configure script
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 20:54:24 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004, Andrew Wu wrote:

I'm looking for help to make my build/make process smarter to

avoid unnecessary recompilation.

The solution to this using Automake is to create just one large Makefile.am file at the top of the source tree that knows how to build *everything* without using any subordinate Makefile.am or configure scripts. Since make then sees *all* of the source files and *all* of the existing targets, it can then decide that it has nothing to do, or does only what is actually required.

The ability to reference source files and targets has been in Automake for a while.

In order to maintain your sanity, I recommend putting the build libraries and executables in simple high-level directories (e.g. 'lib' and 'bin'). For example, if you put executables in 'bin', then you would refer to that executable like bin_exename (notice use of underscore) in Automake.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden