Re: AC_PROG_LIBTOOL error

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: AC_PROG_LIBTOOL error
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 20:38:15 -0700

Warren Young <address@hidden> writes:

> Paul Eggert wrote:
>> What versions, exactly?
>
> Autoconf-2.59
> Automake-1.8b

I don't recommend 1.8b; they should be running a released version of
automake.  Preferably 1.9.1; or 1.8.5 if they're more conservative.

However, this shouldn't matter here: I ran "autoconf" without running
"automake", and autoconf doesn't depend on automake.

> Libtool-1.5

1.5.8 would be better, but (like automake) it shouldn't matter for
this test case.

>> m4 1.4.1
>
> I'm not certain that they have GNU m4 installed.  They may be using
> the system m4.

That wouldn't work at all.

>> Looks like a botched autoconf installation to me.  Your correspondent
>> might try running "truss -f" and seeing what file is missing.
>
> I'll have him try that.  I take it that program works like strace on Linux?

Yes.