Re: LD_LIBRARY_PATH does not supersede /usr/lib for AC_CHECK_LIB ?

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: LD_LIBRARY_PATH does not supersede /usr/lib for AC_CHECK_LIB ?
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 11:44:13 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004, Stan Guillory wrote:

Actually, on Solaris at least, LD_LIBRARY_PATH *is* used to find shared
libraries to link against. It's been
something we have particularly had to guard against, since some older versions
of thirdparty libraries we
use have been installed in /usr/lib and it has corrupted our builds. In fact,
LD_LIBRARY_PATH seems to
supercede the paths specified with -L flags.

This is yet another example of why LD_LIBRARY_PATH should *never* be set in the user environment.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden