Re: Use of config.h: summary of responses.

From: Braden McDaniel
Subject: Re: Use of config.h: summary of responses.
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 09:12:21 -0400

On Mon, 2004-09-13 at 10:40 +0100, Dale Mellor wrote:
> For the record...
>    I recieved about half a dozen responses to this and the overriding
> message is: config.h is worse than useless for packages which install
> libraries and public header files, so don't use it

Not at all. As others have said, don't *install* it.

However, you should be maintaining a clear separation between
configuration options that affect binary compatibility and those that do
not. config.h is for the latter kind; you are, indeed, on your own in
dealing with the former kind. However, I think there are some macros in
the macro archive that can help.

Braden McDaniel                           e-mail: <address@hidden>
<>                    Jabber: <address@hidden>