Help with differing build environments

From: Geoffrey Huang
Subject: Help with differing build environments
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 10:00:07 -0700

Hi there,

I have a question on how to use autotools in differing build environments.

I'm working on a project that's meant to be a portable library. On some systems, I'll be using a set of APIs provided by the platform. In these cases, I want autotools to look for the system's header files for the API's. Likewise, I want autotools to look for the system-provided .c-files for these API's.

On other targets, the system doesn't provide the API's, so I want autotools to use the code I've implemented in the portable library itself.

How would I go about doing this? I've considered using the AC_CANONICAL_SYSTEM statement in configure.in to get me the target system. However, that directive only seems to recognize standard gnu platforms. Some of my platforms aren't standard.

Then I considered using the AM_CONDITIONAL test to specify the system type directly to the configure script, but I have doubts that this is the best way.

Anyhoo, I'd appreciate any help.

-g