Re: automake/autoreconf: Incomprehensible error messages bugs

From: Noah Misch
Subject: Re: automake/autoreconf: Incomprehensible error messages bugs
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 09:30:23 -0800

[snipping automake@ from cc:]

On Tue, Jan 25, 2005 at 09:09:30AM -0800, Bruce Korb wrote:
> On Tuesday 25 January 2005 01:37 am, Noah Misch wrote:
> > The message is not meaningful because this Never Happens :)
>
> Ah.  Good.  Then I didn't see it.  :)

That is to say, this only happens by a bug in `autoreconf' or a broken host
environment.  No user mistake should elicit that message.

> > $ cat /etc/[Ss]*release
> > SUSE LINUX Enterprise Server 9 (i586)

The autoreconf-related bits of the test suite do pass on an SLES 9 system with
perl-5.8.3-32.1.

Do you have a weird umask?  Unusual /tmp mode, ACLs, or mount options?  SELinux?

What version of autoconf?  I do not think post-2.59 CVS contains changes that
relate to your report, but you might test CVS just in case.

> In chasing this down, I also noticed that my /tmp directory was packed full of
> ah* am* cg* ar* directories left lying around.  Full of stuff, too.  Can I
> suppose
> that if I can find the cause of this problem I won't see this ditrius either?

Yes.