Re: RFE: configure -> dependency list on exit.

From: Stepan Kasal
Subject: Re: RFE: configure -> dependency list on exit.
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 14:56:28 +0100

Hi,
  thanks.  I'll make a few comments, but we should wait for Paul's
opinion, it's more important than mine.

On Fri, Mar 04, 2005 at 01:16:08PM +0000, Hugh Sasse Staff Elec Eng wrote:
> +Display a message when @code{AC_OUTPUT} is called.

The node describing AC_OUTPUT should be changed, too.  We should explain
that if there are messages pending from AC_MSG_END or AC_MSG_NEED,
these messages are displayed, _insted of_ the normal procedure.

> address@hidden AC_MSG_NEED (@var{dependency-description}, @ovar{priority})

My idea was to have AC_MSG_NEED with args
   (@var{dependency-name}, @var{dependency-text}, @ovar{priority})
used like

AC_MSG_NEED([flex],
  [Get the latest version of lex from ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/flex/.])

Which would display:

You should get:
  flex          Get the latest version of lex from
                ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/flex/.

I thought that having two parameters, NAME and TEXT, could help some
tools which would trace all AC_MSG_NEED calls, in order to get the list
of all requiremets for the package.

But I think Paul didn't like it.

> +AC_MSG_NEED([A lexical analyser is needed by Bison, such as Flex or
> +lex.])
> address@hidden Not sure if there are sufficient []'s there....

Yes, this is correct.

> address@hidden AC_MSG_END (@var{message}, @ovar{priority})

I think Paul's idea was to haves
         AC_MSG_NOTICE (@var{message}, @ovar{priority})
if the second argument is omited, the message is displayed immediately.
Otherwise, the message is saved for the end.

Thank you for the proposal.  Let's see the reactions.

Stepan