Re: AC_DEFINE_DIR in autoconf (was: Re: SYSCONFDIR: config.h vs. AM_CFLA

From: Stepan Kasal
Subject: Re: AC_DEFINE_DIR in autoconf (was: Re: SYSCONFDIR: config.h vs. AM_CFLAGS)
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 16:13:14 +0100

Hello,

On Mon, Mar 14, 2005 at 09:40:29PM +0100, address@hidden wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 11, 2005 at 05:54:32PM +0100, Stepan Kasal wrote:
> > make prefix=anotherprefix
> > make prefix=yetanother install

> I see, but I fail to find a place in GCS that requires that make
> prefix=anotherprefix should redefine prefix for make all. All I could
> find is that prefix should be redefinable for installers, which makes
> sense, and which works perfectly with paths hard-coded in config.h. So
> why just not include AC_DEFINE_DIR in autoconf?

I looked at the GNU standards now.
It seems you are right, I wasn't able to find such a requirement there.

Let's wait for a while, what the more knowledgeable people here will say.

If you were really right, the false claims should be removed from the
autoconf documentation.  Could you perhaps prepare a patch to that effect?

Then we can look at the possibility of including AC_DEFINE_DIR to autoconf.

Have a nice day,
        Stepan