Re: noinst_bin problem

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: noinst_bin problem
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 09:36:30 +0200

Hi Bob,

* Bob Rossi wrote on Sat, May 21, 2005 at 01:33:33AM CEST:

> I only want "cgdb" to get installed, not the other programs. For this
> reason I use the rule,
>
> noinst_bin_PROGRAMS = kui_driver
> noinst_bindir = $(top_builddir)/progs

Use
  noinst_PROGRAMS = kui_driver
and omit the second line.

> So, when I do make install, it puts the various other programs into
> $(top_builddir)/progs like it's supposed to. However, when I do

Why do you want anything _installed_ into the _build tree_?
Logical error: the build tree is for the build, the install tree is for
the install.  If you wanted something copied around during the build
(the `make' phase), you should write a build rule for it, or build it in
the right place right away.

> make DESTDIR=/tmp/foo install
*snip*
> /bin/sh ../../../../cgdb/config/mkinstalldirs /tmp/foo../../../progs
> mkdir -p -- /tmp/foo../../../progs
> mkdir: cannot create directory `/tmp/foo../../../progs': Permission denied

> What am I doing wrong?

Beside the reasoning I wrote above: installation paths should always be
absolute.  If you ever need an absolute path for the build tree, use
abs_top_builddir.  But my advice would be to not install anything into
the build tree.

Regards,