Re: testing for library via C++ class

From: Vladimir Panov
Subject: Re: testing for library via C++ class
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2005 11:44:43 +0300

tom fogal wrote:

I can't seem to find the appropriate way to determine if a user has a
particular library by trying to link with a class and a class method in
that library.

There is a certain static function in a library named 'vtkCommon' that
I would like to check for. I'd like to have autoconf generate a program

#include <vtk/vtkRectilinearGrid.h>
int main() { vtkRectilinearGrid::New(); }

and if it compiled/linked, then assume -lvtkCommon is in a std include
path, add it to LIBS, etc. Unfortunately

is failing because one needs to include the appropriate header or else
compilation fails.

How could I get behavior similar to AC_CHECK_LIB but with an additional
include / other specified line? Maybe I'm making the wrong assumption
that this should be 'easy', and I must AC_DEFINE my own macro to be
testing this sort of thing...

Thanks for any help/insights,

Autoconf mailing list

Hi, Tom.

For C++ libraries, you should use AC_LINK_IFELSE:

                   [#include <vtk/vtkRectilinearGrid.h>],