Re: configure --help output 'standard'

From: Claudio Fontana
Subject: Re: configure --help output 'standard'
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 22:32:01 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

> > I'd like to know when current option categories
> ("Optional
> > packages:", "Optional Features:", "Some
> influential environment
> > variables", "X features:", ..) have first been
> introduced.
>
> Sorry, I still don't understand why you care.
> Either they're there,
> or they're not.  Either way you can find out by
> running "configure
> --help".

Coming to think about it again, it is not strictly
necessary; I was thinking that if I can determine the
associations between autoconf versions and ./configure
--help output formats, I can more cleanly support
different versions and different formats.

> However, if you want to find out the answer for
> yourself, one way is
> to install all versions of Autoconf, use each one of
> them to build
> "configure", and then see what "configure --help"
> outputs.  That
> should settle the matter.

will pass on this one.

> Another way (if you have more expertise in Autoconf)
> is to read the
> CVS logs for Autoconf.  There's no secret repository
> of Autoconf
> information -- what you see on savannah is all there
> is.

This one looks much better :)

Thanks

Claudio