Re: Python module macro check

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Python module macro check
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 09:09:40 +0200

Hi Dave,

* Dave Fancella wrote on Mon, Jun 27, 2005 at 12:49:27AM CEST:

> I've written a python module check macro for autoconf.  It's pretty short,
> I'll stick it at the end of this email.
>
> Use it like this:
>
> AC_PYTHON_MODULE(wx)
> (checks for wxPython)
>
> As you'll see in the macro, it just fires up Python and tries to import the
> module you pass.

Small suggestion for your macro: users might want to be able to react
differently to that fact that a macro may not be available.  Overridable
optional arguments [ACTION-IF-FOUND], [ACTION-IF-NOT-FOUND] would make
this easy.  (This situation is common for, say, macros in new versions).

> If you guys take it, I'd appreciate a response just so I'll know when the
> next
> version comes out to start using it from there instead of using my own
> acinclude file.

I can't speak for the Autoconf developers, but you might just have more
chances of acceptance in the autoconf macro archives[1].  Speaking of,
there seems to be a macro with similar functionality already listed
there, which you may be able to make use of.

Regards,
Ralf

[1] http://autoconf-archive.cryp.to/
    http://ac-archive.sourceforge.net/