Re: checking for Berkley db 4.2 --> 4.3 upgrade

From: Sam Steingold
Subject: Re: checking for Berkley db 4.2 --> 4.3 upgrade
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 09:25:37 -0400

> * Mike Castle <address@hidden> [2005-07-26 23:52:30 -0700]:
>
> In article <address@hidden>, Sam Steingold  <address@hidden> wrote:
>>Berkley db changed prototypes for functions that are struct members.
>>how do I check for that?
>
> The official word from Sleepycat is that it's much better to statically
> link against a known version of BDB that you ship with your package.

this is not related to my question.

> This is one of the first things they mentioned in the recently created
> berkeley-db newsgroup.

what newsgroup?

> Evolution now ships with a specific BDB, as does nvi, to give two examples
> of packages that follow this policy.

I have my source file that relies on certain BDB features that are
different in different BDB versions, so my code should be different
depending on what BDB version it is being linked against - statically or
dynamically.
How does their build process decide which version of code to use?
Right now, I have an autoconf test that produces a CPP "#define" that
decides what code to use.

What are you suggesting instead?

<http://www.honestreporting.com> <http://www.dhimmi.com/> <http://pmw.org.il/>
<http://www.mideasttruth.com/> <http://ffii.org/> <http://www.memri.org/>
Lottery is a tax on statistics ignorants.  MS is a tax on computer-idiots.