Re: [Fwd: libtool AC_ARG_WITH and autoconf 2.59]

From: Howard Chu
Subject: Re: [Fwd: libtool AC_ARG_WITH and autoconf 2.59]
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 10:22:10 -0700

Hallvard B Furuseth wrote:
Stepan Kasal <address@hidden> writes:
Was there any particular benefit to splitting them apart in the first
place?

I believe that the authors hoped that the list of options will be more
readable if the huge pile is divided according to type.

For OpenLDAP we insert dummy options to break up the list and serve as descriptive headers for each functional group of options. With the old (2.13) behavior it's pretty easy to make the list more sensible this way.

I think that if we accepted your patch, other people would complain.

Sorry, I see no straightforward fix,

Create an AC_PRESERVE_OPTION_ORDER macro which restores the old
behavoir?  Then wrap the code Howard's patch removed, in one macro
and the new code in another macro.  One of the macros would expand
to nothing, AC_PRESERVE_OPTION_ORDER would change which one did.

That would be OK. Maybe AC_PRESERVE_HELP_ORDER instead, that might be more clear.

--
  -- Howard Chu