old system shells (was: kde moves to scons. The future of autotools?)

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: old system shells (was: kde moves to scons. The future of autotools?)
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 16:04:30 +0200

Hi Harlan,

* Harlan Stenn wrote on Fri, Sep 16, 2005 at 10:20:36PM CEST:
> As long as we can guarantee that one can compile a shell that supports
> the functionality that auto* needs I'm fine with that.
>
> I still get to support lots of ancient (ultrix, OSF/1, etc) systems.

Hmm, according to Sven Maschecks pages, both of these should have at
least one shell with functions.  Does the shell function spy trigger
on these?  (To test, you can create a minimal configure.ac consisting
solely of AC_INIT and AC_OUTPUT, run CVS autoconf over it and run the
resulting configure script on those systems.)

Is there good shell/systems documentation for these systems online?

> If this shell configures with auto*, there is also a bootstrap problem.

Yep.