Re: AC_PROG_CC_C_O doesn't work with VC++

From: Keith MARSHALL
Subject: Re: AC_PROG_CC_C_O doesn't work with VC++
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 12:47:10 +0100

Stepan Kasal wrote:
> 3) There is an MSYS build of bash.  Though MinGW/MSYS is not ready
> to run Autoconf, you can use it to unpack a tarball and run ./configure
> there.

I don't know where you get this idea from.  I have been using Autoconf
2.59 in the MSYS environment for at least nine months now, and prior
to that, Autoconf 2.56 for at least the past two years.

> Is it possible that ./configure will then run in the 8.3 environment?
> I don't know and that is why I am not ready to drop the 8.3 support from
> generated ./configure.

Microsoft added long file name support in Win95 -- the first of the 32-bit
Windoze releases.  The requirement to support 8.3 file names disappeared
with the demise of MS-DOS, around the same time.

To clarify:  MinGW is a port of GCC, to run natively on Win32;  MSYS is
a minimal POSIX-like tool suite, also running natively on Win32, and
*specifically* intended to facilitate the use of GNU development tools.
When coupled together, these provide a convenient environment for the
development of Win32 ports of GNU, and GNU-like, applications.  The
ability to use Autoconf is a fundamental requirement in this environment,
and it is certainly well supported.

Best regards,
Keith.