Re: Finding a header

From: Braden McDaniel
Subject: Re: Finding a header
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 01:31:02 -0500

On Thu, 2005-12-15 at 22:45 -0700, Daryl Lee wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-12-15 at 15:25 -0800, Bruce Korb wrote:
> > Daryl Lee wrote:
> > > I am autoconfiscating a project involving other developers.  I need a
> > > portable way of finding a header (it's an OpenGL header, glut.h, but
> > > that's just a specific example).  On my machine, it's
> > > in /usr/include/GL, but on other machines it may be elsewhere,
> > > like /usr/include.  The  only thing I know to do is just list them in
> > > AM_CPPFLAGS, and find them by trial and error.  That seems a tad kludgy
> > > to me.  I expect I'll have a similar issue with libraries once I get
> > > over this hurdle.
> >
> > Hi Daryl,
> >
> > There are two conventions generally available:
> >
> >    ${package}-config cflags ; ${package}-config link|ldflags
> >
> > sometimes, those arguments have a hyphen or two in front of them.
> > See if OpenGL has one of these.   More recently, "pkg-config"
> > has started becoming popular, but for now it must be a backup
> > solution:
> > http://www.freedesktop.org/software/pkgconfig/
>
> And, of course, if no ${package}.pc file exists, I'm out of luck, yes?

If a package has been installed in a place that the compiler/linker
doesn't know about and without any mechanism for the user to convey its
location to said tools, someone is out of luck. That shouldn't be you.

In other words, users who put things in arbitrary places should expect
to have to set CPPFLAGS and LDFLAGS when running configure.

--
Braden McDaniel                           e-mail: <address@hidden>
<http://endoframe.com>                    Jabber: <address@hidden>