Re: Creating static libraries for Windows

From: BRM
Subject: Re: Creating static libraries for Windows
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 06:24:54 -0800 (PST)

--- Keith MARSHALL <address@hidden> wrote:
> BRM wrote:
> > 2) For those of you that are using the MSYS
> > environment - is there any other way to create a
> > static library using the Autotools under MSYS?
> Perhaps address@hidden',
> (preferred), or
> address@hidden' would be better
> fora for
> this discussion; (both are subscriber only lists).

Thanks. I'll take that part of the discussion there.

> When using MinGW as the compiler suite, under MSYS,
> you simply
> create libraries as libSTUFF.a, then use the
> -Llibpath and -lSTUFF
> switches in the gcc command, just as you would on
> *nix.  For a small
> example of how I've done this, for a MinGW support
> library, see
>http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/mingw/mingw-execwrap-1.0.0.tar.gz?download
> If you *must* use MSVC, then you must follow M$
> convention for all
> your Makefile commands, and would use the M$ `lib'
> command, to
> create the libraries.  However, this scenario is
> probably less
> common in an MSYS build environment, where MinGW --
> a Win32 port
> of GCC -- would be the preferred compiler suite.

Thanks. As I am looking at possible distribution of
the lib files and any DLL's that I build for use in
other projects, I at least need the option available,
though it would be good to have it the default under
Windows.

Thanks,

Ben

TCP/IP Evil-bit RFC
ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3514.txt