Re: AT_TESTED

From: Noah Misch
Subject: Re: AT_TESTED
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 03:01:53 -0800

On Fri, Jan 06, 2006 at 09:30:57AM +0100, Roger While wrote:
> Why does this macro force the user to support
> long options ?
> Can't we use "-V" or alternatively provide an
> "AT_VTESTED" macro ?
> Or even make it overridable
> (eg. Over environment AT_USER_VOPT)

All GNU programs should support `--version' with the expected meaning, whereas
-V may have other meaning or no meaning to some GNU programs.  Non-GNU programs
have different conventions, of course, and it would indeed be helpful to support
those conventions when practical.

One test suite may test several programs with different option conventions, so
the solution is probably a long form of AT_TESTED in which the suite author
specifies how to invoke the particular program.

Nobody has contributed such functionality at this time.