Hello, a few questions

From: dont mind
Subject: Hello, a few questions
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 21:10:12 +0100 (BST)

Hello,

 I'm doing a little app. in assembler (gnu gas), and would like to use
gnu-autotools for it.

 I'm new to assembler and to autotools itself. As far as I've seen the better
way to do this is to use cpp to preprocess my assembler files (so I can do
#defines, and get advantage on config.h's created by autotools), and then
compile it with `as'. I'm not willing to use gcc by now.

 So far, I'd like to know whether the target host is little or big-endian. I
was looking at an autoconf website where you store macros already done, and it
looks like endiannes is already handled by autoconf natively.

 In any case, I'm reading the autobook, and got info pages for autoconf, and
automake. Follwing the given examples, I'm generating makefiles and configures
with a lof of things I wouldn't use since I'm not willing to link with gcc.

 This might sound strange to all of you, but I wonder if there's any way to
 "strip" a lot of things I won't be using by now, so I can have a bit of more
control over what I'm doing to this regards, while letting me understand this
huge thing faster, and also letting me share my code easily and faster.

 Any comments or pointers would be much appreciated.

 Kind Regards,