Installing a directory

From: erik wikstrom
Subject: Installing a directory
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 14:38:44 +0200

I'm in the process of migrating a small project to the autoconf-framework and I'm almost done. The only thing left to fix is the installation (make install). The application consists of an binary executable file and a directory of images used by the executable. The binary is installed as correctly but I can't figure out how to install the directory with the images (should go into $PREFIX/share/appname). When I try to run make install it fails with "/usr/bin/install: `./images/' is a directory" which is true.

How do I tell install that it's supposed to install a directory, is it even possible?

I thought of creating a rule in my Makefile.am in which I'd manually install the directory and it's contents, however I'm not sure how to connect that rule with the make install-rule. Any thoughts on how to do this?

--
Erik Wikström