Re: why does autoconf check for all these extra compilers?

From: Stepan Kasal
Subject: Re: why does autoconf check for all these extra compilers?
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 11:14:19 +0200

Hello,
   well, most of the answer was already said, but let me to sum up:

On Thu, Jul 20, 2006 at 08:44:40AM -0600, Ed Hartnett wrote:
> When attempting to do a mingw cross-compile, [...]
> What is with all the "i686-pc-mingw32-" stuff?

As you said, you are cross compiling.  It is usual that `cc' or `gcc'
is a native compiler, and ${host}-cc is the cross compiler.  That is
why configure first searches for "i686-pc-mingw32-" versions of the
tools, and only when they are not found, it falls back to standard
names (supposing that you set the PATH so that the cross tools are
found first).

For more details specific to your platform, see Keith's answer, I do
not have experience with Woe32.

> the configure script checks for a whole bunch of extra compilers.
> What's up with that?

That is a limitation of libtool: it searches for a compiler for each
language it supports, even though your project doesn't use eg.
Fortran.  This is fixed in libtool 2.0.  Takes some time, but should
be otherwise harmless.

Have a nice day,
        Stepan Kasal