Re: How to specify linker

From: Keith MARSHALL
Subject: Re: How to specify linker
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 14:24:02 +0000

shamju joseph wrote:
>  We can specify cross-compiler by setting the variable CC.

That is *not* the way to specify a cross compiler; you *should*
use `--build=some-host --host=a-different-host' to specify cross
compiling mode.

> How can we specify other cross tools like linker, assembler, ldd,
> strip etc to configure script?

And these will take care of themselves, if you use the proper
incantation, as above, and your cross tool chain is configured and
installed correctly.

> Where should we specify CC, before configure or after configure?

That depends on which version of autoconf is used to generate the
configure script...

> (I mean CC=crosscompiler ./configure

You *must* use this form with very old versions, but

>     OR  ./configure CC=crosscompiler)

is preferred for newer versions (2.5x and later, IIRC).

HTH,
Keith.