Re: [Autogen-users] autogen 5.8.7 / Mac OS X.4.8 build problem

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: [Autogen-users] autogen 5.8.7 / Mac OS X.4.8 build problem
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2006 10:52:06 +0100

Hello Bruce, Tomaz,

* Bruce Korb wrote on Thu, Nov 23, 2006 at 06:34:23PM CET:
> Tomaz( Slivnik wrote:
> > I just tried compiling autogen 5.8.7 on Mac OS X 10.4.8.
> >
> > During ``configure'' I receive the following output:
> > configure: WARNING: wchar.h: present but cannot be compiled
> > configure: WARNING: wchar.h:     check for missing prerequisite headers?

> This is caused by the snprintfv.m4 file checking for wchar.h
> without doing it "the right way."  I've now read through the
> "Present But Cannot Be Compiled" section, but it leaves no clue
> about what should be done.

What is unclear about the following, quoting from
http://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/manual/html_node/Present-But-Cannot-Be-Compiled.html
?

| The proper way the handle this case is using the fourth argument
| (see Generic Headers):
|
|      $ cat configure.ac
|      AC_INIT([Example], [1.0], address@hidden)
|      AC_CHECK_HEADERS([number.h pi.h], [], [],
|      [[#if HAVE_NUMBER_H
|      # include <number.h>
|      #endif
|      ]])

> I am going to take a wild guess that
> I replace this line from snprintfv.m4:
>
>   AC_CHECK_HEADER(wchar.h)
>
> with this:
>
>   AC_CHECK_HEADER([wchar.h], [], [],
>      [[#if HAVE_WCHAR_H
>      # include <wchar.h>
>      #endif
>      ]])

That wouldn't make any sense.  A prerequisite header would typically be
a different one.

> Since reasonably modern system headers should be self-sufficient
> (you should 'a been there in the seventies and eighties!!),

Welcome back to the seventies and eighties then, I guess.

> I really cannot imagine what prerequisite your "wchar.h" header
> needs.

FWIW, I don't either.  The powerpc-apple-darwin8.7.0 system I tested on
likes wchar.h just fine, without prerequisites.

Hope that helps.