AC_CONFIG_HEADERS and autoheader

From: Patrick Welche
Subject: AC_CONFIG_HEADERS and autoheader
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 12:22:39 +0000

>From Nov 19 autoconf source, info autoconf says:

 -- Macro: AC_CONFIG_HEADERS (HEADER ..., [CMDS], [INIT-CMDS])
     Usually the input file is named `HEADER.in'; however, you can
     override the input file name by appending to HEADER a
     colon-separated list of input files.  Examples:

          AC_CONFIG_HEADERS([config.h:config.hin])
          AC_CONFIG_HEADERS([defines.h:defs.pre:defines.h.in:defs.post])

     Doing this allows you to keep your file names acceptable to DOS
     variants, or to prepend and/or append boilerplate to the file.

but autoheader can't cope with the last variant. The attached patch seems
to do the right thing, except I'm not sure what to do when I have
the following in configure.ac:

AC_CONFIG_HEADERS(config.h::config.h.in:config.post)

i.e., no config.pre. Patched autoheader correctly creates config.h.in, but
then running configure gets me:

config.status: creating Makefile
config.status: error: cannot find input file:

Is that AC_CONFIG_HEADERS syntax simply not allowed? (missing file name)

Cheers,

Patrick