Re: proposal - command-line option checking

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: proposal - command-line option checking
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 08:36:51 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 13 Dec 2006, Steven G. Johnson wrote:

Something that has been bothering me for a long time has been Autoconf's lack of checking for command-line options. That is, it doesn't give any error, or even a warning, if the user accidentally types --with-foo or --enable-ffoo instead of --enable-foo. In my experience, this has caused numerous problems because users think they've enabled things when they haven't. (Heck, it's burned me several times on my own programs!)

Not only is it unfriendly, it's also unexpected: virtually every other Unix command-line program complains if you pass it an unknown argument.

The reason why Autoconf behaves this way is that it is supposed to be possible to extract several different independently-maintained projects in a directory and drive them all via top configure script. The sub-projects might not use the same version of Autoconf and will surely accept different configuration options. A package maintainer may not know that his package is built subordinate to some other developer's package.

This approach was historically used for the GNU tool set.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn