Re: Autoconf manual's coverage of signed integer overflow & portability

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: Autoconf manual's coverage of signed integer overflow & portability
Date: 03 Jan 2007 10:32:06 +0100

Paul Eggert <address@hidden> writes:

| Here are further patches I checked into the Autoconf documentation to
| reflect today's comments (some of which I received privately).  Thanks
| to all of you.  The trickiest bit was documenting one simple way to
| reliably detect overflow without converting to unsigned and back.
| (At least, I hope it's reliable....)

I have noted earlier that the GNU implementation of C++ standard's
std::numeric_limits<T>::is_modulo has been reporting "true" for over
half a decade now, when T is a signed integral type.  I don't know where
that fits in the equation but surely it tells people that they can
count on wrapping for signed integer arithmetic.

-- Gaby