Re: "has changed since the previous run"

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: "has changed since the previous run"
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 00:36:50 +0100

* DJ Delorie wrote on Wed, Jan 31, 2007 at 10:55:18PM CET:

> This check has been causing lots of problems for us, mostly because it
> cares a LOT about whitespace - even a stray space at the end of the
> variable.  Are there any plans to make it less picky about whitespace
> in the near future?

I think for 2.60 we took care that AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS and the like don't
munge whitespace -- that was a cause for failure.  And some more global
$as_echo changes in 2.61b (CVS).  But I guess that doesn't apply to GCC
as it calls the sub-configures manually.

In which cases do you see these, and what's the cause for the changed
white space?

> Otherwise, is there some way to disable it
> globally in, say, a gcc or binutils build?

Not at the moment.  I guess as a hack you could redefine the macro
_AC_ARG_VAR_VALIDATE.  You may still have to do the passing to
config.status in that case.

Hope that helps.