Re: help linking shared libraries / rpath

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: help linking shared libraries / rpath
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 18:29:33 +0100

Hello David,

* David Byron wrote on Fri, Feb 16, 2007 at 06:08:53PM CET:
> I'm using autoconf (and automake) to build a couple of static libraries and
> some executables -- one executable that actually gets installed, and some
> for testing.  Some of these executables depend on "external" libraries (e.g.
> boost, xerces).  I've created configure-time args to specify the location of
> these libraries.
>
> I'm getting stumped on how to set rpath.

You can either use Libtool, but you may consider this overkill,
understandably, or you can use autoconf-lib-link.  That is a set
of macro files and a script config.rpath which will be added to
your package.  It's distributed as part of GNU gettext, or
alternatively as the havelib module of gnulib:
<http://www.gnu.org/software/gnulib/MODULES.html#module=havelib>.

Hope that helps.