Re: AC_PROG_CC with absolute path

From: Harald Servat
Subject: Re: AC_PROG_CC with absolute path
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2007 08:43:02 +0200

Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> Hello Harald,
>
> * Harald Servat wrote on Tue, Apr 03, 2007 at 05:32:40PM CEST:
>>   I'm trying to provide a compiler to this macro (using it's name and
>> the full path name) when some special conditions occur but as it isn't
>> on the default $PATH, AC_PROG_CC skips it.
> [...]
>
> Could you show exactly what you did, rather than describe it in words?
> I ask because I'm wondering whether you as developer of a package put
>
>   AC_PROG_CC([/path/to/compiler])
>
> in configure.ac, or maybe instead
>   : ${CC=/path/to/compiler}
>   AC_PROG_CC
>
> or you as user of a package did
>   ./configure CC=/path/to/compiler
>
> and what semantics didn't fit with your expectations; i.e., what
> happened, and would you have expected to happen instead?  Because
> the above things all work just fine for me.  Please also state the
> Autoconf version used.  Thanks.

Hi Ralf,

I'm doing this: (consider BGL_HOME points to an absolute existing path
and IS_BGL_MACHINE="yes")

- --

if test "${IS_BGL_MACHINE}" = "yes" ; then
   wanted_C_Compilers="powerpc-bgl-blrts-gnu-gcc
${BGL_HOME}/blrts-gnu/bin/powerpc-bgl-blrts-gnu-gcc blrts_xlc
/usr/bin/blrts_xlc"
   wanted_CXX_Compilers="powerpc-bgl-blrts-gnu-g++
${BGL_HOME}/blrts-gnu/bin/powerpc-bgl-blrts-gnu-g++ blrts_xlC
/usr/bin/blrts_xlC"
else
   wanted_C_Compilers="xlc gcc cc"
   wanted_CXX_Compilers="xlC g++ CC"
fi
AC_PROG_CC([${wanted_C_Compilers}])
AC_PROG_CXX([${wanted_CXX_Compilers}])

- --

however, CC is never set to
${BGL_HOME}/blrts-gnu/bin/powerpc-bgl-blrts-gnu-gcc

checking for powerpc-bgl-blrts-gnu-gcc... no
checking for
/bgl/BlueLight/ppcfloor/blrts-gnu/bin/powerpc-bgl-blrts-gnu-gcc... no
checking for blrts_xlc... blrts_xlc

blrts_xlc is found because it's on the PATH. I expected that checking
for /bgl/BlueLight/ppcfloor/blrts-gnu/bin/powerpc-bgl-blrts-gnu-gcc
would set CC to this compiler if it existed.

> [...]
>>   So, is there any way to provide a full path of a C compiler in the
>> AC_PROG_CC macro? Is there any other alternative that I should have in mind?
>
> Not sure yet.  Is this a package for general use, or just for you, on
> your system only?  Is adherence to GNU Coding Standards an aim for it?

I'm trying to produce the more general solution as I can for our
package, however, this is a very specific question indeed. My main
objective is just to produce the most automatic configure.

> Cheers,
> Ralf

Regards,