Re: autoconf-2.61's AC_LINK_IFELSE with MinGW cross-compilers

From: Keith MARSHALL
Subject: Re: autoconf-2.61's AC_LINK_IFELSE with MinGW cross-compilers
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 12:47:26 +0100

Eric Blake wrote:
> According to Ralf Corsepius on 4/12/2007 4:46 AM:
>> To me this reads as: MinGW and Cygwin's "test -x" are broken.
>
> Give an example where cygwin's "test -x" is broken.  MinGW has
> problems, but in my experience, cygwin does not.

AFAIK, it has similar problems to those experienced by MinGW, (or
to be strictly accurate, by MSYS), if it is deployed with a FAT32
file system, rather than with NTFS.  On NTFS, with Win2K, I don't
see any problem with Cygwin's `test -x'.

MSYS has the problem, regardless of the file system, because we
aim to support identical behaviour for both file systems.  We still
aim to support users of Win9x, so we have to adopt FAT32 as lowest
common denominator.

Regards,
Keith.