Re: Smart --with-package=DIR (for absentminded users)

From: Thomas Lavergne
Subject: Re: Smart --with-package=DIR (for absentminded users)
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2007 15:15:58 +0200

Hi all,

My package is an ensemble of C files which are build in a static library libbar.a and associated header bar.h. My library depends on another library (foo) which should be pre-installed on the system.

At configure time, to make sure I have access to foo, I make 3 tests. First AC_CHECK_HEADER([foo.h]), then AC_CHECK_TYPE([aSymbolIn_foo],,[#include <foo.h>]) and eventually AC_CHECK_LIB([foo],[aMedhodIn_foo]).

My question: strictly speaking (and IMHO) the last test is too much. The building of a static library does not indeed use any linking. Isn't it a bit too much to ask for LINKING (AC_CHECK_LIB) of a library function at configure time when we won't use the linker at compile time?

In (almost) real life, we might want to configure, build and install our library although the programming team next door is not yet ok with the implementation of libfoo.a (although we agreed on the interface available in foo.h).

Is there a best practice for that case?

Thanks for your inputs.
Thomas