Re: newby question: to use or not to use ?

From: Keith MARSHALL
Subject: Re: newby question: to use or not to use ?
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 09:12:06 +0100

Benoit SIGOURE wrote, quoting me:
>> How do you run Bourne shell scripts on VMS, which has
>> a unique command language, all of its own?
>
> Can't you compile a shell with the C compiler on this system?

Possibly, but I suspect that it would be far from a trivial exercise.
Nor would it end there; you would have to repeat the exercise for all
of the common UNIX utility programs, or at least the subset mandated
by GCS, and for `make' too, since none of these are standard on a
VMS system.

I do maintain several applications, running on VMS, or OpenVMS hosts.
All are approaching the end of their life cycles, (VMS itself is no
longer an actively developed system).  From my perspective, the
effort of supporting autoconf just would not be justified.

Regards,
Keith.