cross-tools

From: Dr Tomaž Slivnik
Subject: cross-tools
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2007 12:27:48 +0100

I am writing in response to the following message printed by "./ configure":

checking for powerpc64-apple-darwin-ranlib... no
checking for ranlib... ranlib
configure: WARNING: In the future, Autoconf will not detect cross- tools
whose name does not start with the host triplet.  If you think this
configuration is useful to you, please write to address@hidden

Please note that on Mac OS X, there is only one compiler (gcc) and supporting tools, which compile for ppc, ppc64, and i386 architectures. So these tools act as both native tools and as cross- compiler tools. Implementing the change proposed above will break the default functionality on Mac OS X (and Darwin generally). I certainly rely on being able to use the present functionality to build multi- architecture binary files.

On a related note, I would like to see functionality in autoconf in the future which will allow me to build a multi-architecture binary in a single "./configure ; make" pass. Currently, this is not possible as many/most configure scripts appear to try to guess the endianness of the host CPU and the bit-size of things like "long" and hard code it into configuration files before compilation begins. This does not allow simultaneous compilation for both PowerPC and Intel architecture, or simultaneous compilation for 32 bit and 64 bit architectures.

Thank you.

Yours sincerely,

Tomaž Slivnik