Re: changing the default compilers for autoconf

From: Sanjay Gianchandani
Subject: Re: changing the default compilers for autoconf
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2007 19:25:11 +0530

hey Ralf
thanks for ur guidance!
I am in no mind to get GNU to promote the sun studio stuff...
all i want is to modify autoconf such that it looks for sun compilers on
solaris machines...
which is why i think ur reply suits my needs perfectly!!!

thanks a ton!
and yes, i would make it go for the sun compilers ONLY on solaris
machines...as you suggested

-Sanjay

On 9/7/07, Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello Sanjay,
>
> * Sanjay Gianchandani wrote on Fri, Sep 07, 2007 at 02:55:16PM CEST:
> > I have been working on Solaris, and have been trying to increase the
> > efficiency of autoconf built softwares on the system.
> > The main issue here is that autoconf by default, and as a rule, uses the
> GNU
> > based compilers to make the software, while
> > on Solaris, Sun Studio compilers prove to be much more efficient.
>
> For yourself, just get in the habit of using
>   .../configure -C CC=cc CXX=CC F77=f77 FC=f95
>
> or write a config.site file that sets these as defaults once and for
> all, for your system; see
> <http://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/manual/html_node/Site-Defaults.html>
> for more information.
>
> If you want to change the defaults for your specific package, but every
> user of it, then you can put something like
>   : ${CC=cc}
>   : ${CXX=CC}
>   # ...
>
> in your configure.ac, right before AC_PROG_CC; but be warned that users
> may not like your decision all that much and at least require that you
> do this only on Solaris.  For that, invoke AC_CANONICAL_HOST and then
> match $host against *-*-solaris*:
>   AC_CANONICAL_HOST
>   case $host in
>   *-*-solaris*)  : ${CC=cc}  ... ;;
>   esac
>   AC_PROG_CC
>
> As to changing Autoconf's defaults globally, i.e., for everyone and
> every package without package-specific modifications: preference of GCC,
> the GNU Compiler Collection, is a policy decision.  From an effort point
> of view, you'd have more luck in improving GCC so that it ends up being
> the better compiler, than getting GNU to promote a proprietary compiler
> over its own free one.  ;-)
>
> Cheers,
> Ralf

§âñjây