Re: changing the default compilers for autoconf

From: Sanjay Gianchandani
Subject: Re: changing the default compilers for autoconf
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 12:03:01 +0530

Hey all,
the changes that Ralf suggested pretty much worked for me, except for two
things...
one i still dont know how to set autoconf or libtools[i guess for this i
will need to mail the libtools mailing list?] to use the sun performance
libraries, and second as i said previously, i wantd to make this more as a S
un compiler based version of autoconf, which could be used by any and
everyone who is interested in making...if the change needs to be made in the
configure.ac of each of the applications then it pretty much defeats the
purpose...

On 9/7/07, Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello Sanjay,
>
> * Sanjay Gianchandani wrote on Fri, Sep 07, 2007 at 02:55:16PM CEST:
> > I have been working on Solaris, and have been trying to increase the
> > efficiency of autoconf built softwares on the system.
> > The main issue here is that autoconf by default, and as a rule, uses the
> GNU
> > based compilers to make the software, while
> > on Solaris, Sun Studio compilers prove to be much more efficient.
>
> For yourself, just get in the habit of using
>   .../configure -C CC=cc CXX=CC F77=f77 FC=f95
>
> or write a config.site file that sets these as defaults once and for
> all, for your system; see
> <http://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/manual/html_node/Site-Defaults.html>
> for more information.
>
> If you want to change the defaults for your specific package, but every
> user of it, then you can put something like
>   : ${CC=cc}
>   : ${CXX=CC}
>   # ...
>
> in your configure.ac, right before AC_PROG_CC; but be warned that users
> may not like your decision all that much and at least require that you
> do this only on Solaris.  For that, invoke AC_CANONICAL_HOST and then
> match $host against *-*-solaris*:
>   AC_CANONICAL_HOST
>   case $host in
>   *-*-solaris*)  : ${CC=cc}  ... ;;
>   esac
>   AC_PROG_CC
>
> As to changing Autoconf's defaults globally, i.e., for everyone and
> every package without package-specific modifications: preference of GCC,
> the GNU Compiler Collection, is a policy decision.  From an effort point
> of view, you'd have more luck in improving GCC so that it ends up being
> the better compiler, than getting GNU to promote a proprietary compiler
> over its own free one.  ;-)
>
> Cheers,
> Ralf

§âñjây