Implementing a segfault test

From: Andrej Prsa
Subject: Implementing a segfault test
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2007 14:32:55 -0400

Hi,

my project uses a mixture of C and Fortran functions by translating
Fortran to C with f2c, compiling the generated sources into a library,
and linking the rest of the project to that library. For this scheme to
work, the executable also needs to be linked with g2c *or* with f2c.
Under most circumstances g2c is preferred.

The problem is that there is a bug in libg2c that causes a segfault on
some processors, i.e. dual core opterons and some 64bit intels; see:

http://people.debian.org/~terpstra/message/20070906.195243.618bfaf4.en.html

For these processors I would like to have the build system fall back on
"-lf2c -lm". I would like to ask for advice on how to implement this
test in autoconf. Since there is no list of affected processors, I don't
really know which processors would segfault with g2c and I can't switch
on the target. I would instead like to execute the test similar to the
one in the bug report above that would pass for most processors but
cause a segfault on the affected few. The ones that exhibit a segfault
need to be linked against libf2c.

Thanks for your help,
Andrej