Re: Custom source configuration

From: Benoit Sigoure
Subject: Re: Custom source configuration
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 14:59:41 +0100

On Nov 13, 2007, at 12:56 PM, Yvan Barthélemy wrote:

I am new to autoconf and I would want to do the following uses :

- I have made a m4 macro to check the Qt environment of a user. Now I would like to check the sources in order to correctly set compiler and linker flags. Is that sort of thing (source scanning) already performed somewhere ?
If done, where is it done, and can I use that process ?
If not done, how can I perform this wheck my self from scratch (aka. what would be the better strategy to perform this ?) ?

- The previous use was mostly been thought to be performed at configure time, but it maybe be interesting to perform this at autoreconf time. For example, I would want to generate myself all code with Qt uic, and Qt moc, and distribute the generated code rather than asking the user to do it again (assuming there is no difference in the generated code when generated on different environment). Same questions as above : how can I do that sort of thing in the autoconf process (it might or might not need to perform source analysis).

I wrote this:
http://www.tsunanet.net/autotroll/

It's an M4 file and a small piece of Makefile that help building Qt applications with Autotools. I used them successfully for over a year with Qt 4.0+, Qt 4.1+, Qt 4.2+, Qt 4.3+ on various GNU/Linux distros (Ubuntu, Debian, Gentoo) as well as on Windows (Cygwin / MinGW) and on MacOSX (older PPC or newer Intel, didn't test with Leopard but there is no reason it shouldn't work).

I didn't look at your own macros or that proposed by Ralph but by the time I wrote these macros, there was nothing satisfactory.

Benoit Sigoure aka Tsuna
EPITA Research and Development Laboratory