Re: GNU Automake 1.10.1 released

From: Dalibor Topic
Subject: Re: GNU Automake 1.10.1 released
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 18:39:24 +0100

Eric Blake wrote:

According to Dalibor Topic on 1/25/2008 9:21 AM:
| Ralf Wildenhues <Ralf.Wildenhues <at> gmx.de> writes:
|
|> I'm pleased to announce the release of Automake 1.10.1.
|
| I assume that means the GPLv3 exceptions vs. autotools mess has not been
| resolved yet, as there is no mention of it in the release notes?

Correct - Ralf intentionally downgraded the license on the automake
release branch just prior to releasing 1.10.1 [1]. The issue is closer to resolution (the FSF lawyers have finally given the maintainers an off-list
preview of what wording might be possible to use), but not there yet.
Technically, it would also be possible for autoconf to pull the same trick as automake - downgrade the license of all files in git to GPLv2+, release
autoconf 2.62, then upgrade back to GPLv3+ once the licensing is sorted
out, but I'd rather avoid that since it looks like the FSF lawyers are
finally working on the problem.
Thank you very much for the update, I was a bit worried seeing all the conversation with the FSF seemingly swallowed by a black hole on the autotools lists, and then seeing a release without mentioning anything about V3 in the release note, despite
a supposed embargo on V2 releases.

Is there an ETA for the resolution?

cheers,
dalibor topic